Saturday, December 25, 2004

Christmas

Having David gone for Christmas was harder than I thought it would be. But, its been a nice day nonetheless. Last night I went to the 11 o'clock service at church with my parents and bro and sil. The communion stewards didn't show up, so they minister asked my parents to help with communion. So, on Christmas Eve, while I contimplated the birth of the Christ child and the birth of my own, I took communion from my mother and my minister. It was really special. I guess it wasn't good enough for my sister in law, though. She refused communion because she said it is "un-hygenic." Some of her quirks are left, but I have to tell you she's been a DELIGHT since before Thanksgiving. Anyway, the service was nice and the choir was fantastic and it was a nice night, even though Liam had wedged himself between bones where he didn't fit and I was in horrible pain. The bad part was that I was up until 1am. That is *so* past my bedtime and I'm afraid it left me a little cranky. I woke up cranky, too. I was a little terse with my parents when they called this morning and cried for a few hours. Then I took a nap. Then they picked me up, we went to see Polar Express and then drove around and looked at Christmas lights. Then I came home, turned on the tree and garlands at home, lit a peppermint candle and I think I'm going to bum around the house. I had a whole cleaning list I had intended to do today, but I'm not going to. I'll leave it for tomorrow. My parents are coming tomorrow to help finish the fixits. Liam's armoire is upside down in the living room awaiting Dave's arrival at home to help take it upstairs. Then a little more organization, some carpet in the back two rooms and a thorough scrubbing and I can have this baby.
While I was at the hospital Friday doing my pre-admission paperwork, there was a guy there who was talking to the girls at admissions. His wife just had a baby unexpectedly early. He said he was exhausted because he'd scrubbed every floor, washed every linen, changed all 1000 gallons of fish and turtle tank water in their home and ...get this...changed all the potted plants into fresh dirt. So, I guess I'm normal. I'm pretty sure I'll leave the plant dirt alone.
I talked to David a few minutes. He's working nocturnal shifts 6pm-6am so he's sleeping a good portion of the day, so I don't get much time to talk to him and I'm aching for him to come home. I'm used to him being gone twice a month, but I guess on Christmas it mattered. I kept thinking...we'll celebrate when the family is all together....its fine. But, know what? It isn't fine. I miss him and my heart was aching this morning.
But, next year.....next year we'll have a baby! It will be baby's first Christmas. How fun will that be!?

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am so sorry you had to celebrate without Dave this year. Next year will be better!!!! Lots of hugs and love coming your way.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you had to spend Christmas on your own. But you're absolutely right, next year you'll have Liam and Santa and lots of fun watching him play with boxes of the toys you bought for him! Wishing you all the best...

Jen said...

Dang it Kether! WHY did you mention changing the dirt in the plants! Now it seems rather urgent to me this late in the game! Oy! ;) *winking! but seriously contemplating changing the dirt in the plants!!!*

I'm sorry you had to spend Christmas without David. That had to be so hard...and I'm sad for you!
Next year, NEXT year will be GREAT!!!
Merry Christmas sweetie!