Isn't he beautiful?
Quick version of birth story. So much to sort out. I'll get it all on here eventually (missed you all *so* much by the way but its been so chaotic since it happened)
Ok, so Dave was putting the car seat in the car, I was hanging out at home procrastinating doing the last minute stuff I wanted to do before surgery the next day. I went to the bathroom and on the toilet I felt a pop in my belly. I stood up and gushing started to happen. At first I figured I just wasnt done peeing, but when I sat it stopped. When I stood it flooded. I stood in the bathroom yelling DAVID my water broke!! He was outside but finally came in to find me drenched in the bathroom.
He wanted to go to the hospital immediately. I wanted a shower.
I called my parents to tell them my water broke. My dad didn't seem to care and I asked to talk to my mom and he said "OH, all right" like I was putting him out and he yelled for my mom "Kether's water broke and she's all panicked." My mom starts freaking out. My dad is confused. My dad says "Why can't she just call a plumber?" (note to all, they had major plumbing repair done that day to the tune of $1900 so I guess my dad wasn't thinking straight). When he realised that we meant MY water broke and not the house's, he panicked, too. They came over and followed us to the hospital with the video camera. I leaked, or gushed, water all the way to the hospital, had to go inside looking like I peed my pants several times over. I walked to Labor and Delivery (on tv they get a wheelchair for you)
They got a C-section room ready quickly and I was taken in for the anesthesia (which I LOVED) I have never been so relaxed in my life. David hurried in in his outfit (very cute, by the way) and before I even knew that they had me cut open they said, "We're almost to the baby"
He is beautiful. He is soooooo easy going and rarely cries (its going to be heartbreaking when he finallly does and we can't console him).
The only bad part is that I can't get him to breastfeed and it is heartbreaking. I've read all the stuff. More than a million nurses have pinched my breasts and tried to get him to take them. He won't. He just won't. And everyone keeps showing me how and no matter what we do he won't. Its gotten me to tears --especially today. I'm going to keep trying, I guess, but its more frustrating and upsetting each time I try. Tomorrow we're going to get an electric breast pump and start bottle feeding him pumped milk. My milk came in today and it hurts soooooo badly.
The nurses made me feel so badly about this. They would say keep trying. Don't give up. So, I would and he wouldn't eat so they'd say he has to have formula and sticking his little foot to check his blood sugar. Then I'd feed him formula and they'd say, "you don't want him to get used to the bottle because then he won't take the breast."
I can't let him starve.
The best course for me will probably be to just pump the milk and bottle feed it to him. We'll figure that out tomorrow. I've decided to try to breast feed for two weeks.But how long at each sitting do I try before I give up and give him the formula? Until we're both screaming and crying?
Sorry about that. Jut had to get it out.Aside from that we are perfect and happy and very scared to have him home, but very happy, too.
I'll post a thousand more pictures later.
6 comments:
So many things to say!!! I don't know where to start!!!!
Liam is GORGEOUS!! I can't wait to see THOUSANDS of pictures!!
Your Dad is so funny!! I can imagine what expression must has crossed his face when he figured out that YOUR water broke!!!
Try not to let the nurses and other guilt givers get to you on the breat feeding thing. I had a friend whose daughter never took to the breast. It happens. But she kept trying. She did what she was told, and held off the bottle. That baby lost a pound in her first week!! And she still never took to the breast! Once my friend starting pumping and feeding, mixed with formula feeding, The little one fattened right up!! Sometimes it just doesn't happen--it's not your fault!!! Do the best you can, but the important part is making sure that Liam is fed!!! Ok, there's my two cents! Sorry about the soapbox here!!
Most of all, I'm so happy for you and David and Liam. You are a family now!! What a wonderful blessing!! Ok, I'm crying!! Give Liam a big kiss for me, K?
((Hugs))
Oh how wonderful!!! Welcome Liam!
Sorry abt the b/f issue please please email me if you just want to talk (or vent!)
Sometimes it can be hard but I really admire you for keeping up trying. He may very well NOT have a problem with b/f after bottles!
What a beautiful lad.
-Blue
He is beautiful!!! What a cutie pie!! You make beautiful babies!!! Did anyone suggest an SNS to you while in the hospital? Alot babies don't want to work to hard at the beginning because they aren't getting enough from the breasts. So people end up giving them a bottle and they go hey this is easy .. who needs to work for it. With the SNS the supplimenting goes through a little tube that you tape to your nipple and the baby doesn't have to work hard, but as they are getting the supplimenting they are also sucking and stimulating your milk too. Best of both worlds. If you haven't tried that yet .. give it a try. Some babies take a bit to get the latching on thing. As long as 4 weeks. Set you a date and say I'm not going to give up before this date. I'm going to stick with it until then. That gives you a short term goal to work for. Hopefully by then .. he will have the hang on it.. if not .. you gave it your best and can say hey I tried. Keep up with the pumping .. the main thing is he gets those good antibodies from that breastmilk to help keep him healthy .. especially since he is a winter baby .. he needs those extra antibodies to help keep him from getting sniffles and stuff .. trust me you never want a sick newborn. It's pitiful. Lots of love and hugs coming your way. He's such a cutie!!! Oh how much did he end up weighing??? And how long was he at birth?
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Liam is absolutely adorable! I can't wait to see more pictures! And that is such an awesome story (of course, I was cringing while reading it thinking--I don't think my car interior can handle an hour of gushing in it to get to the hospital! LOL!)! I am sorry that you're having problems with bfing, but at least you're working at it. Try not to set yourself up for disappointment... We all want to do things a certain way and are put out if it doesn't work out that way, but it doesn't make us any less of a person (or a mother)! (((HUGS)))
Congratulations Kether (and Dave too!)!!! He is adorable and I can tell he is a sweetheart. I am so happy for the both of you. If you have any mommy questions, lemme know and I'll help you out.
Hugs,
Jen M. (from art of gracious living)
Awwwww! He's beautiful!!! Congratulations!!!!!
Post a Comment