We had meant to spell one another today and take naps because we got very,very little sleep last night. But, uhm, he was too cute to leave and before we knew it, here we were at 9pm with no sleep! I just laid down on the floor of our tv room to 'rest' and woke up an hour later.
Started pumping midday today. I've been able to pump about 2.5 ounces in each of two seperate sessions. I was scared he wouldn't drink it, but he did. I don't have enough to keep going through tonight, but as my milk comes in and we get him used to it, maybe it will be easier to get him to take my breast? Right now he screams and flails. As David pointed out, he's not just uninterested in latching, he seems downright offended and upset by the process. I think its because he's lazy and its just plain too much work for him. Maybe as my milk comes in and it becomes easier to feed that way he'll change his mind?
Anyway, the important thing is that he's getting breast milk and all that good stuff that my juice is supposed to provide for him. I haven't tried to breast feed him today, so its been a tearless, happy day. He is just so incredibly beautiful. I can't get over it. And he smells soooo yummy.
Tomorrow morning we have to go to the lab and have his blood drawn to check his "Belly rubbins" as I've been calling them...bilirubin(?)-- he's slightly jaundiced, which I understand is normal. He's been eating more and peeing more, so hopefully we're flushing things out of his system. We also laid him out in a patch of sunlight streaming through the window to try and help. It really bothers me that he's jaundiced--despite the fact that many, many newborns are apparantly.
Monday is his appointment for circumcision. I am not going to get into a war about whether or not this is right with blogworld. So, if you don't agree, don't bother flaming me for it. We thought about it and talked about it and decided to do it. It is our decision for our reasons.
It was strange making the appointment. For the first time I said the words "My son." and then she asked for his first name and last name and middle initial and it felt so real--this little identity I've created.
We did a great job incubating this one, we did. I keep telling people that brownies and grilled cheese sandwhiches make for great babies.
Hopefully I'll be able to scan some pics tomorrow---or people will send me their wonderful digital ones to post. Until then, I'm going to smell my sugarbug's neck.
6 comments:
OMG OMG OMG!! How the heck did I miss your first post Wednesday night?! Yesterday was nuts and I wasn't able to check in at all, but as soon as I saw you had commented on my blog, I rushed right over here...CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! He is SO gorgeous, Kether, and I've been sitting here reading with tears in my eyes. That story about calling your dad is too funny -- I literally laughed out loud. I'm so thrilled that all went well with the c-section, if a day earlier that expected, and I'm sorry that b/f hasn't been easy. Lots of women have difficulties with it, so don't let anyone make you feel guilty (I know, easier said than done) -- you're doing GREAT and I'm very proud of you! :) Just so happy for you, too. Tears of joy, tears of joy...congrats, MOMMY. Can't wait to see more photos!
I also wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Liam is sooo beautiful. I am so glad that you are both home and healthy. I am glad that your C-section went well.
Take all the time to smell and snuggle with your little man. He is so adorable.
Congratulations again!!!
Take your sleep WHENever and WHEREver you can get it!! LOL!!
It sounds like you are doing great. Keep it up. Do what you can each day, and enjoy every bit of it!
I'm so glad that you are keeping us updated, too!! Every morning, I rush to the computer to check on you. I love the updates!!!
Love & ((Hugs))
I can't believe you're finding the time to blog and read other blogs but you're not getting any sleep!!!! LOL...that will probably be me! ;) Get rest whenever you can! Glad to hear Liam is doing well... I have heard that a lot of babies can be a bit lazy about the bfing in the beginning, but don't lose hope. If it's meant to be, it will happen. Enjoy and best wishes! And get some sleep, darn it!! :D
OHHH... he is sooooo adorable!!! It is so strange that he is already here! We've been talking about him forever, and now he is here! I hope the little guy figures out how to work the boob but if he doesn't and pumping works for you then don't sweat it. You've done what you can and don't beat yourself up about it. A friend of mine went through the something similar with her son and her boob and he ended up having to eat formula. Don't let the fact that he is having difficulty bother you, it is no reflection on your ability to be a good mom! I'd consult a lactation consultant and do what you can but don't beat yourself up over it... he is beautiful and will thrive regardless!! I know that this is totally my assvice and I've never BTDT but I really believe it-- but take it for what its worth (.02!!) You've got a mighty fine boy there!! Good job, MOMMY!!
KETHER!!
He is absolutly STUNNING!
A great big HUGE congrats to you!!
I can't give you any advice on the b'feeding, well...because as you know it didn't work out for me.
But what I can tell you, is if it DOESN'T work, PLEASE dont' beat yourself up over it!
With Logan, I drove myself into depression because you have this idea in your head that you are going to make your child suffer etc. by not nursing, and that you are a HORRIBLE mom for not doing it.
I bought into all the negativity that the L.C.'s gave me about formula and not having that 'bond' etc...and boy did I spiral downhill fast.
With Miles, yes, while I was sad it didn't work, I see how wonderful Logan has grown to be and he was a dreaded formula fed baby! Our BOND couldn't be stonger! How dare I have formula fed, right? ;)
Anyway, do what works for you and your family, and what works for YOU will work for the baby and trust me, a happy mom makes for a happy baby and much less stressful life the first few weeks.
Again, CONGRATS to you! You created a most beautiful babe! :):)
Can't wait to hear what life throws you the first few weeks! share it with us as you go along!
Post a Comment