Friday, June 26, 2009

Now I lay me down to sleep



This week....the Master Bedroom. The tour is brought to you by Kelly at http://kellyskornerblog.com/































Ours has had zero attention since we moved in, aside from us hanging The Map two weeks ago.
The Map used to hang in my husband's apartment over his bed. It is a giant street map of Los Angeles county. We used to stand on his couch and look up the places we'd been on dates, or were going to go. I have very fond memories of The Map. We didn't have a place for it in our old house, but I thought it might go nicely with our quilt in this house and we had a large wall begging for something. I love having it there. It feels like sort of abstract art, but we can also look things up on it. The Map was made before our neighborhood existed, so I'd like to put a sticker where our street would be.
I'm really only showing you the Master so that you can see The Map and The Bed.
The Bed we inherited when my MIL passed away last year and my FIL downsized to a retirement community. At first I wasn't sure about it. I'm a cottage/Country/Victorian kind of girl, and this didn't seem to mesh with my style at all. However, it had so much storage....and we needed a bed...
Now it is my favorite piece of furniture. There is an armoire for each of us on either side (the upper half of mine is full of accessories... I have a bit of a problem, as you'll see I also have two jewelry armoires --only one will be pictured)(oh, and the poor plant on top of the jewelry armoire? it used to be by my garden tub, but it became a victim of a puppy and kitten conspiracy..). There is a pull-out bedside table, storage cabinets behind the pillows and built in lights above the headboard with a little knob to turn them on and off. We read a LOT in bed, as you can see by all the books. This makes it so pleasureable to read in bed. When I'm done, I just reach my hand up and twist the knob to turn the lights out.
The cabinets behind the pillows also have a power strip. Need to lay down with a heating pad for awhile? just plug it in there. When you're done, you can simply toss the heating pad in the cabinet and no one will know!
I also love the cream colored Matalasse bedcover. On our honeymoon in Spain and Portugal, almost every hotel bed had one. I was so thrilled to find one, from Portugal, on clearance at Linen's and Things when they went out of business. It reminds me of our honeymoon every day.
I'm also showing you our sliding glass door and the balcony. It is so nice to go sit out there on summer evenings and look at the stars. Some mornings Liam and I sit out there and try to find daddy and the dogs while they walk through the desert.
I hate the blinds on this slider. But this is the desert and this is a west facing window. Right now they're a necessity. Some day I want to put film on the windows and then add curtains instead of the blinds. When we get to this room, I have a lot of plans.
This room is so much better than our old room. Our old room was barely big enough for a full-size bed. Our bedroom was a converted attic and had very little space. I didn't even get a nightstand at that house. Though this room is small by many standards, it seems like a banquet hall compared to the old one!





2 comments:

The Three Bees said...

Hi-
Thanks for your comment on my blog and for stopping by! That is so sweet that your hubby still has your note and you guys have it with your headboard, love stuff like that! :-) Have a great weekend!

barb said...

Love it. We also have a map in our bedroom. We bought a map while we were on our honeymoon in the Bahamas and I had to frame it when we got home. I love it because it brings back all of those newlywed memories. Oh and your bedroom looks huge compared to mine. lol